Academics of 9th, 10th, 11th & 12th Grades
Greater Grace Christian Academy offers a college preparatory high school program for grades 9-12. Applicants to the program must provide evidence of scholastic ability and personal spiritual growth. Qualified applicants have above-average standardized test scores, B averages in their academic coursework from previous schools, and a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. GGCA high school students are expected to attend a local church, be involved in a Christian youth ministry, and demonstrate Christian character values in both the school and community.
At GGCA, we take the Christian part of Christian education seriously. Bible classes or chapel meets daily and students are expected to participate in school-sponsored evangelism in the community.
Communication and technology skills are valued and taught in grades 9-11. These classes are designed to prepare students for the demands of 21st Century university and workplace environments.
The GGCA freshmen year includes year-long courses in Algebra 1, English, Modern World History, Bible, and Spanish 1. Freshmen take a one-semester Composition course to work on their written communication skills, along with one semester of computer. The goal of the freshman computer class is to master Microsoft Word and earn a Microsoft Office Specialist certification.
GGCA sophomores study Biology, Geometry, Bible, Spanish 2, and English for one year. Speech and Debate class is taught for one semester to improve students’ spoken communication skills; Computer is taught the other semester. The goal of the sophomore computer class is to master Microsoft Excel and earn a Microsoft Office Specialist certification in both Word and Excel.
Juniors at GGCA take year-long courses in Chemistry, Advanced Mathematics, English, U.S. History, and Bible. Apologetics class teaches students to articulate and defend a positive case for their biblical Christian faith.
The senior year at GGCA is one of transition to life beyond high school. Students attend school partial days taking Bible, Physics, English, and semester-long courses in Economics and American Government. The partial day schedule gives GGCA seniors the opportunity to be dually enrolled in afternoon, evening, or weekend college courses, to pursue an internship, or to gain work experience.
GGCA high school students are encouraged to play on the varsity sports teams, sing in the chorus, play in the band, and participate in yearbook and other activities.
used in our high school classes come from these sources:
- McDougal Littell Algebra; Structure and Method Book 1, Classic Edition © 2000
- W.H. Freeman Geometry: Seeing, Doing, Understanding, 3rd Edition © 2003
- McDougal Littell Algebra and Trigonometry; Structure and Method Book 2, Classic Edition © 1999
- Scott Foresman Patterns in Literature © 1989
- Scott Foresman Traditions in Literature © 1989
- Scott Foresman The United States in Literature © 1989
- EMC Publishing Mirrors and Windows – British Tradition © 1989
- Wordly Wise 3000 Books 9, 10, 11, and 12 © 2007
Novels & Plays
- To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
- Othello, William Shakespeare
- The Miracle Worker, William Gibson
- Bruchko, Bruce Olson
- The Crucible, Arthur Miller
- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, Frederick Douglass
- A Raisin in the Sun, Lorraine Hansberry
- Gulliver’s Travels, Jonathan Swift
- Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
- 1984, George Orwell
- Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
- A Beka Biology: God’s Living Creation, 3rd Edition © 2008
- Prentice Hall Chemistry © 2007
- Prentice Hall Conceptual Physics, 3rd Edition © 2002
History and Social Studies:
- Bob Jones World History for Christian Schools, 2nd Edition © 1994
- TCI History Alive! Pursuing American Ideals © 2008
- Prentice Hall Magruder’s American Government © 1996
- Glencoe Economics: Principles and Practices © 2007
- Prentice Hall Realidades 1 & 2 © 2004
- Prentice Hall Learning Microsoft Office 2007 © 2007
- Bob Jones Sound Speech © 2002
- Great Source Write Source, Grade 9 © 2007
- Thinking Like a Christian: Understanding and Living a Biblical Worldview © 2002
- Don’t Check Your Brains at the Door: A Book of Christian Evidences © 1992
- Positive Action Proverbs: The Foundation of Life © 2009
- Positive Action The Christian Adventure © 2009
- Positive Action The Life of Christ: From the Gospel of John © 2010
- Positive Action The Inner Man: With Spiritual Leadership © 2011
- The Holy Bible © Eternal